Thursday 14 April 2016

Using Key Concepts at Inquiry Stations

Using key concepts to drive my stations or areas or rotations (whatever you call them) was a great way to let kids explore shapes through different lens.

I don't know why, but I don't do this as nearly enough as I should. Using key concepts makes me think about things differently and allows me to come up with ideas that I normally wouldn't have thought of.

FORM: What shapes can you make from other shapes? What will that look like?
Students discovered that you can make a trapezoid using 3 triangles and you can then combine 2 trapezoids to make a hexagon!



REFLECTION: We had already explored properties of triangles. I used this station and the concept of reflection to get kids to think about what they have learnt.




CHANGE: Student had to change shapes using an original shape or by combining other shapes.




FUNCTION: How can I find a shape that has all these properties?





No comments:

Post a Comment